This dessert was very much the after meal treat. Vanilla ice-cream mixed in with the gooey center was really a divine combination. My only gripe is that there isn't enough room on the surface of the cake for more ice-cream.
|Choc Lava Cake Topped with Vanilla Ice-Cream|
100grams dark chocolate chips. (60% cocoa)
1 tbsp unsalted butter + extra for brushing the ramekins
2 eggs, separated yolks and whites
70 grams caster sugar + extra for dusting the ramekins
Icing sugar for dusting the top (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius. (Note I use a fan assisted oven. 220 degrees Celsius for non-fan ovens.)
2. Brush 3 ramekins on the inside with the extra butter. Let it rest for a few minutes. Brush the ramekins with butter again, this time, with vertical upward strokes.
3. Use the extra caster sugar to dust the inside of the ramekins. You can do this by putting a tablespoon of caster sugar in the ramekins, tilting it 90 degrees to the side, and then rolling it back and forth to spread the sugar.
4. Fill a small pot/saucepan with water halfway. Bring it to a boil then turn off the heat. Put the chocolate and butter in an metal bowl above the saucepan. The bowl should fit nicely on top of the saucepan without touching the water.
5. Mix until the butter and chocolate are mixed well, combining into a smooth shiny chocolate cream like state.
6. Remove the mixing bowl from the saucepan, mix in the egg yolks into the chocolate.
7. In another mixing bowl, add a tablespoon of the caster sugar and the egg whites. Beat the egg whites with a hand beater or electric hand mixer. Adding spoonfuls of the sugar as you go, until all the sugar is added. Beat until shiny and stiff peaks form.
8. Add a ladle full of the egg whites to the chocolate mix, folding the egg whites in gently with a flexible spatula. Adding more of the egg white mix into the chocolate and the first ladle of whites is thoroughly incorporated. Repeat, a ladle at a time, until everything is combined. Remember to fold in the whites gently.
9. Spoon into 3 ramekins. (maybe 2 if your ramekins are larger) Bake for 10 mins. The cakes should rise about 3-4 cm.
10. Remove from oven and serve immediately.
Post a Comment