Rösti or rööschti - A type of potato fritter from Switzerland. Similar to a hashbrown I guess. but usually cook in a pan instead of a deep fryer.
We had potatoes and mushrooms in the house, wanted to jazz them up a little. Spring onion and thyme were from our back yard.
I made this one thin as I wanted it crispy. This is thinner than a traditional rösti I guess. Haven't had or made that many to be 100% sure. Those that I have had were thicker and larger. Important to get the mushrooms browned to intensify the flavour. Recipe: 1 Large Potato ~ 250 grams (Julienne or grated) Half and medium/small onion (finely chopped/diced) 2 garlic cloves (finely chopped) 6 mushrooms ~ 250 grams(sliced) knob of butter 2-3 sprigs of thyme 1 egg
1. Fry egg sunny side up.
2. Heat a flat fry pan with some oil. 3. Put potatoes in pan set to medium heat.
4. Cook until both sides are crispy.
5. In a separate pan heat some oil over high heat.
6. Then add onion and garlic. Fry till softened and light brown.
7. Add mushrooms and fry until browned.
Assembly -8. Mushrooms on the potato and top with fried egg.
9. Garnish with fresh herb of your choice.
Also, a short cut would be to use frozen/store-bought hash browns and just cook the shrooms yourself. Also, grate the potatoes if you don't want to julienne them.