|Peri Peri Chicken Chop
Here is what you'll need for the Sauce:
1 1/2 head of garlic, peeled (You can use up to 2 heads for a really strong garlic flavored sauce)
8 stalks of chilli padi
2 stalks of regular large chillies
1/2 - 3/4 cup of Light Olive Oil
Juice of 1 Lemon
Zest of 1 Lemon
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1 bunch of coriander with roots cleaned
1. Add all the herbs and spices (including the lemon zest) into a blender and blend.
2. Add the oil gradually and continue to blend. Stop adding oil when you get the consistency you want.
3. Add in half of the sugar and half of the lemon juice, blend and taste. Continue to add remaining lemon juice and sugar gradually till you get the taste you want for the sauce.
4. Store in a jar or container and refrigerate. Flavor will develop further overnight.
I have made this a few times now, so I just throw everything into the blender and let the machine do the work.
You will probably end up with 1 1/2 cups of sauce. The sauce will keep at least a week or more. This recipe results in a very spicy, garlic flavored creamy sauce. If you want to tone down the garlic flavor, just reduce the garlic content by about 1/4 or 1/2.
To reduce heat, adjust the proportions of chilli padi vs regular large chillies. Or you can add more sugar. Note however that the peri peri sauce is not a sweet sauce.
The sauce is great for marinating chicken and seafood for grilling. Use in controlled amounts, as a little can go a long way. (depending on your tolerance of heat).
For this super easy chop you'll need:
1 boneless chicken thigh (approx 200gms)
1 - 2 tablespoons of peri peri sauce
1. Marinate the chicken chop for at least 15 mins with the peri peri sauce.
2. Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius
3. Smear a baking dish or tray with some oil to prevent the chop from sticking.
4. Place the chop on the baking dish or tray, skin side up. Bake it in the oven for about 40 mins.
5. Turn the oven to grill mode in the last 3 - 5 minutes to crisp the skin up a little more (optional)
Just use a larger tray/dish for more chops. I have done up to 4 at the same time.
Do leave a comment or suggestion.